Yesterday, I attended a Scottish Water information event at the Mitchell Street Centre about the next phase of the water mains upgrade in the West End, which will follow on from the current work in Perth Road/Nethergate, which is thankfully thus far on schedule, meaning a return to roads normality in the Nethergate and Perth Road shopping area later this month.
The well-attended event updated residents on this next stage, which is due to begin next week, and will see work in the Blackness Road/City Road and Lochee Road areas.
This phase of the upgrade is expected to take 10-12 weeks in total and there will be traffic management measures in place on a rolling programme.
Work starts on 9th August, in the following streets initially:
• Abbotsford Street
• Peddie Street – Road Closure
• Annfield Street – Road Closure
• Blackness Street – Road Closure
• Ure Street – Road Closure
The rolling programme then moves onto the following streets with an estimated start date of 15th August:
• Blackness Road: closed in both directions between Glenagnes Road and Bellfield Street. Diversions will be in place.
• Rosefield Place – Road Closure
• Rosefield Street – Road Closure
The rolling programme of works then continues on the following streets with an estimated date of 22nd August:
• City Road/Milnbank Road – Road Closure with diversions in place.
The work also moves on to the Lochee Road section with this split into four phases to minimise disruption in the area, with an estimated start date of 22nd August:
• Logie Street: Loons Road to City Road. South bound closure between these two junctions with associated lane width restrictions at Logie Street/Loons Road signalised junction. Rankine Street closed north bound. Associated side street closure of Muirton Road. Diversions will be in place.
• Lochee Road: City Road to Tullideph Road. Two way traffic flow maintained. No road closure required. The Lochee Road rolling section has an estimated start date of 29th August.
• Lochee Road: Tullideph Road to Dudhope Terrace. Closed south bound between these two junctions. Associated side street closures of Cleghorn Street and Rankine Street. Associated lane width restrictions at Lochee Road/Rankine Street junction. Diversions will be in place.
• Lochee Road: Dudhope Terrace to Park Street. Closed south bound between these two junctions. Associated side street closure of Lower Pleasance. Associated lane width restriction at Lochee Road/Polepark Road signalised junction. Diversions will be in place.
The final stage of work in this phase then takes place in the following streets with an estimated start date of 12th September:
• St Mary’s Place
• Mitchell Street
• Benvie Road – Road Closure
• Fyffe Street – Road Closure/Parking Restrictions
• Eassons Angle
The exact timing of each part of the work will be confirmed as the rolling progresses, and updates will be posted on the Scottish Water website.
Local access will be maintained wherever possible on affected roads.
The work involves the lining and flushing of existing water mains, as well as some open cut mains replacement – so some temporary disruption to water supply will occur and all customers affected will be given notice of any disruption in advance.
A couple of photos from yesterday’s drop-in event are below :