Wednesday 23rd November sees the start of the West End Christmas Fortnight, which will be launched with the Christmas Lights Switch On for the West End and a spectacular fireworks extravaganza.
This year’s West End Christmas Concert takes place that evening at Dundee West Church at 6.15pm. There will be musical contributions from all local primary and secondary schools. The Concert will be hosted by Gordon Sharp.
We are delighted that “The Notables” will perform as well as local school pupils – it will be a great concert and everyone is very welcome to attend. Mains of Fintry Pipe Band will pipe everyone from the church to Seabraes for the Christmas Lights Switch-On.
At 7pm, Loadsaweeminsinging will perform by the tree and thereafter at 7.20pm the West End Christmas Lights will be switched on at Seabraes by Lord Provost Bob Duncan, ably assisted by Santa and his sleigh.
There will again be a spectacular fireworks display after the lights switch-on.
West End Christmas Fortnight is packed with events and we hope that, as in the past 16 years, the local community will take part. We are extremely grateful to all the local businesses for their support of the Christmas Fortnight, without which the events would not be possible.
Other main West End Christmas Fortnight events include :
• Saturday 26th November – West End Christmas Fortnight’s lovely children’s craft event. Taking place at Logie St John’s (Cross) Church Hall, this event is most suited to young school aged children who will be making trees and wreaths out of last year’s Christmas cards and jigsaws.
• Saturday 26th November – Harris Academy from 1pm – Primary 6 football competition.
• Wednesday 30th November – St Andrew’s Night West End Community Groups’ Social Event.
• Thursday 1st December – The Westport Winter Wonderland – Lights Switch on in West Port at 6.30pm.
• Saturday 3rd December – Vintage motor cavalcade in the West End shopping areas, in conjunction with Dundee Museum of Transport – starts at 1pm. Kindly sponsored by Barnetts Motor Group, the cavalcade of vintage vehicles will proceed along Perth Road, Nethergate, West Port and Blackness Road. There will be carol singing from 1pm at the Sinderins too!
• Tuesday 6th December – The Finale! A candlelit Community Carol Concert at Logie St John’s (Cross) Church at 6.30pm. This is a perfect way to round off West End Christmas Fortnight.
• Over Christmas Fortnight – Window Spotting Competition for children – prizes include a family membership of the Botanic Garden.
You can download the full West End Christmas Fortnight brochure here – it will be available in local shops later this week and also distributed to local schools, sheltered lounges, the Mitchell Street Centre, Blackness Library and other West End facilities.