Residents will recall that the former toilets in Lochee Park were finally demolished last November.
I have had a number of enquiries about the state of the site within the park where they were situated – see below :
I contacted Neighbourhood Services at the City Council about this and have now been assured that the area will be prepared and seeded in the coming weeks to add to the grassed area within Lochee Park.
Back in August of last year, I reported that residents had asked me when the now disused (and rather horrible) toilets in Ancrum Road next to the Lochee Park children’s play area, would be demolished and the council advised that demolition would take place in October (that’s October 2015!)
I have continually reminded council officers over many months about the delays in this happening – and they were finally demolished last week – only a full year late! See photo (right) :
I am now anxious to see the area properly restored and added to Lochee Park as part of the parkland.
It should be stressed that there is still public toilet provision very close by – at the Lochee Park Pavilion.
Earlier this evening, I attended a walkabout round Greater Balgay by the Balgay Stakeholders’ Group, which brings together local councillors, council parks/Neighbourhood Services staff and representatives from the Friends of Balgay – to look at issues related to Balgay Park and its surrounds.
We had a very useful walk round Greater Balgay, and discussed proposals for improvements in the forthcoming year or so which include :
• Improved directional and road safety/vehicle speed limit signage
• Removal of the unused bowling green at Lochee Park to incorporate it into the main park (but maintaining the remaining bowling green)
• A welcome new overspill car park in Lochee Park and the lining of the main car park into bays
• Repair of the Serpentine steps in Balgay
• Significant upgrade and improvement to the Victoria Park tennis courts, hopefully taking place this summer
• Upgrade to the playpark in Victoria Park
• Look at ways of improving areas like some of the hedgerows
• Some alteration to the Rose Garden to maintain its lovely appearance but improve its grass cutting regime
• Some solar lighting on paths
• Upgrading of Balgay Cemetery paths
These are very positive developments and I will continue to keep residents advised of progress.
Residents have asked me when the now disused (and rather horrible) toilets in Ancrum Road next to the Lochee Park children’s play area, will be demolished.
The City Council has now advised me :
“The engineers have been instructed on the demolition. It is intended to take this to the September Committee with demolition taking place in October.”
It should be stressed that there will still be public toilet provision very close by – at the Lochee Park Pavilion.
This morning, a great number of volunteers turned out to help rid Lochee Park and the Greater Balgay area of litter.
The event was organised as part of the Dundee Festival of Volunteering and folk from Community Spirit Action Group, Bonnie Dundee, Tesco and local residents all helped. Many thanks also go to Community Payback.
Here’s a few photos from this morning’s successful litter pick :
|Some of today’s volunteers|
|At the side of Balgay Hill|
|With some of the rubbish collected this morning|