I mentioned that I had written to a major national retailer about an ATM at one of their stores in the West End Ward to see if the company nationally was willing to consider contributing to the costs of this particular ATM so it could offer free cash withdrawals in the future.
I am pleased to advise that this retailer – the Co-operative Group – has reacted positively and has converted the AGM in question (at their store at the junction of Polepark Road/Edward Street/Brook Street) to free to use – see new machine now installed – right.
* A meeting with Dundee Museum of Transport representatives at the building in Roseangle (see right) that they hope to soon open as the temporary premises for the museum. Although their long term aim is to locate at a larger site in Maryfield, they are keen to get the museum open meantime in Roseangle and residents will welcome the news that the long-empty building and site in Roseangle will come back into use, particularly for such a worthwhile project.
* Along with my ward colleague Cllr Richard McCready, I took part in a meeting at St Peter’s Free Church to discuss further ways in which this fabulously renovated building can be used as a community resource and for concerts and other activities. I have also been in touch with Angus and Dundee Tourism officers to see how they can assist with this, given the great historical interest in the church, the church of the Rev Robert Murray McCheyne (1813-43).
* I took part in the Dundee House Project Board’s latest meeting, at a time when the building project is nearing completion.
* I attended a briefing on tenant participation in Dundee, run by the City Council’s Housing Department.
* I met a number of residents in the Polepark area about issues of local concern.
* I had the pleasure of meeting Dave Kaye, Managing Director of National Express’s UK Bus operation. Dave was taking part in an event in the City Square where the Dundee public could meet senior staff from National Express, including Simon Mathieson, the Acting Director of National Express Dundee. This was an excellent initiative to let Dundee people highlight their issues about bus services in the city and let local people meet senior representatives of one of the major bus operators in Dundee.
* I also had the pleasure of attending the launch of the Dundee Youth Council at the City Chambers last night. Congratulations go to Matthew Landsburgh on being elected Chair and to all the other members of the new Dundee Youth Council. Listening to the debate last night, there is no doubt that the DYC will become firmly established as a strong voice for young people in the city.