Volunteer Dundee has a drop-in session for the West End every Wednesday at Blackness Library – where you can find out more about activities and volunteering opportunities in our area – see below!
Yesterday, I was pleased to attend the Sacro showcase event at the Dundee Voluntary Action offices in Constitution Road.
Sacro is a national community justice voluntary organisation working across Scotland to make communities safer by reducing conflict and offending.
It was very interesting to hear about the good work Sacro is undertaking in Dundee and across Tayside, particularly its youth restorative justice service.
You can find out more about the work of Sacro here.
I was pleased to be at the well-attended launch of the Dundee Festival of Volunteering yesterday in the City Square.
You can find out more about the many activities taking place this coming week as part of the festival by visiting the festival’s Facebook page. Don’t forget our West End Litter Pick as part of these activities – next Saturday!
Some photos from yesterday’s launch :
|Large turnout for the launch day!|
|Some of the stands setting up in the City Square|
|With the Bonnie Dundee Britain in Bloom 2015 finalist banner|
|Graham Cross of the Bonnie Dundee group|
|Lillian Malcolm and Gordon McDonald of the MS Society’s Dundee Branch|
From the Volunteer Centre Dundee :
Volunteer Champions Team Awards – New for 2014!
If you know a team of young volunteers aged 12-25 who have gone above and beyond expectations – we want to hear about it!
The Volunteer Champions Team Awards will recognise the efforts of teams of young volunteers who have done something extraordinary! This award is for a team of young people who have come together to work on a specific project or activity for the benefit of the local community. To be eligible for nomination, teams must meet the following criteria:
• All volunteers must be between the ages of 12 and 25.
• Young People must have worked together to complete the minimum number of hours.
• The activity must have an agreed outcome – whether it’s raising money for charity, doing a beach clean-up, or running an event, for example.
• The award can be for one off projects or teams who volunteer regularly.
• There must be a minimum of 4 young people to make up a team.
• If there are between 4 and 6 young people, they need to have gained 100 hours of volunteering collectively. If there are 7+ young people, they need to have gained at least 200 hours of volunteering collectively.
• The Volunteer Team must have gone above and beyond expectations and made a difference to their communities.
To nominate a team, click here. Closing Date: 1st September 2014 at 5pm – so don’t delay!
This morning in lovely sunshine – and along with the team from Community Spirit Action Group – we took part in a litter pick of Balgay Hill as part of the Dundee Festival of Volunteering 2014. Here’s a couple of photos: